Real Insurance Event Advice
Tropical Cyclone Gita, New Zealand & Polynesia (including Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji)
12/02/2018 and updated 20/02/18
We are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Cyclone Gita as it approaches New Zealand and the Polynesian islands and surrounding area.
Tropical Cyclone Gita made landfall on Samoa on 11 February 2018 and is expected to make landfall on Tonga on 12 February 2018. The intensity of the tropical cyclone is expected to increase over the coming days, but it’s path through Polynesia and the Pacific isn’t yet known.
If you are in Polynesia or New Zealand and need emergency assistance call us on +61 2 9333 3967.
Local media are providing updates as the storm progresses. There have been reports of flight cancellations from and to Samoa. Please view your flight provider’s website for their updates.
DFAT are advising travellers to avoid the area and follow local instructions.
Please stay up to date with the advice issued by DFAT at http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/
The below information was issued on 12 February 2018 and applies to your Real Travel Insurance policy, underwritten by Hollard.
For policies issued prior to 2:03pm AEDT 10 February 2018
You are covered for the following policy benefits (subject to the policy terms and conditions, limits, Benefit exclusions and General Exclusions):
• Section 1: Overseas emergency medical assistance (all policy types)
• Section 2: Overseas emergency medical and Hospital expenses (all policy types)
• Section 4: Additional expenses (Comprehensive and Annual Multi-Trip policies only)
Note that there is no cover for trip cancellation under any policy type.
For policies issued after 2:03pm AEDT 10 February 2018
There is no cover under any policy type for any claims arising from this event. You are covered for other claims that are not related to this event.
Making a claim
• whether your policy was issued If you are claiming additional expenses, make sure you keep a copy of all your receipts.
• If your travel was cancelled or delayed by a transport provider, you may be able to claim some of your meal and accommodation costs through them. Please check the terms and conditions of your transport provider’s ticket, and keep a copy of all their communication with you.
• The Real Travel Insurance PDS gives you all the information you need to make a travel claim. You can find a copy of the PDS at https://www.realinsurance.com.au/product-disclosure-statement/
If you don’t need emergency assistance, you can make a claim when you get back home. Contact us on 13 19 48.
• Take reasonable steps to minimise your claim. Contact your airline or Travel provider for assistance if you need to rearrange your travel plans.
• Keep your receipts and any other supporting documentation e.g. travel provider cancellation letters. If you are claiming for additional meal, accommodation, and travel costs, please ensure you retain copies of all of your expense receipts.
For details about what your policy covers, please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement. Limits, conditions and exclusions may apply under your policy.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your particular circumstances.